After eight years of living between two homes, I have learned a few things. The hardest but biggest lesson was learning to “let go”. But this post isn’t about that. It’s about well, keeping two places, travelling to see our children/grandchildren, vacations, and other commitments that have you on the road. We just got back from a holiday after getting through the big Christmas rush season. That meant we were not at our house at the lake for 33 days. Happily, everything is fine – no disasters like frozen water pipes or the like. But it is hard to remember what is where. Is there bread at the lake? no, but there are lots of loaves at our house in town . . . rats! Fresh fruit, yes – it’s easy to remember to take bananas, and milk. But when it comes right down to it, I’m always guessing about what is where. After eight years you would think I would have a fail-proof system, a master list that I update on the computer or something. But, no. The staples are the hardest. It never fails, when I’m in the grocery store I can’t remember – do I have flour? how old is it? do I have butter? how about baking powder? So my method is to buy what I need and let it go. What’s the worst that can happen? that I have 3 packages of pickling spice? 3 large re-fill containers of soy sauce, 2 bottles of maple syrup? So it was, that when I got here last night and saw these potatoes, I smiled smugly and pulled out the new bag I had just bought – I was ready for this!
. . . say, are they looking at me?
